Sunday 2 October 2011

Unmissable TV: Downton Abbey and House

I watch too much TV. And I watch it in the worst way: flicking from channel to channel, deciding there’s nothing on, and then flicking through them again in spite of that!

So most of the time there is nothing on TV that I would really care about seeing or missing.
But, strangely, there are 2 shows on at the moment that I would HATE to miss.

One is “Downton Abbey”. This is a very enjoyable programme, now in its second series. Kudos to all of the cast and crew. I am reluctant to single anyone out because everything is so well done, but it would be difficult to ignore the contributions of Julian Fellowes (creator, writer, exec producer), Brendan Coyle (who plays Mr Bates) and Michelle Dockery (who plays Lady Mary). And, of course, I would have to mention the inimitable Maggie Smith.

The other is “House”. I have been a huge fan of Hugh Laurie since forever. I first saw him on Saturday Live in sketches with Stephen Fry. My admiration for these two was cemented in Peter's Friends, Jeeves and Wooster, and, of course, A Bit of Fry and Laurie.

For some reason I missed the start of House on TV and I didn't want to join midstream. But last Christmas my wife bought me seasons 1-5 on DVD and I was able to catch up (she also bought me Jeeves and Wooster on DVD at the same time!).

So Downton Abbey is running at present (season 2) and House will be starting up again in the States next Monday apparently (season 8!).

Happy days!