Saturday 3 November 2012

Panasonic TX-L42ET5B Smart Viera 3D LED TV

I was shocked a few weeks ago to see a TV the same as my own (a Phillips flat-screen with a CRT!) in a skip in a recycling centre.

Then about a week later my own TV packed in. The choice was simple: repair or replace.

On consideration, we decided that the broken TV was older than it looked. And it had given us enough service. And we deserved a a TV that didn't have a CRT.

We ended up buying a Panasonic TV-L42ET5B. The "42" shows that it is a 42" screen.

The TV does a couple of things that I wasn't expecting when we went out shopping that day.

Firstly it support 3D (using passive 3D glasses). I always thought that 3D was a gimmick but when we saw it in the shop we really liked it. It can even convert regular TV into 3D on-the-fly (I had no idea that was possible).

Secondly it has built in WiFi. So now we have another way to surf the web - from our TV.

We are extremely happy with the TV. I have come in to the room on many occasions to find everyone wearing 3D glasses. And we spent one rainy Sunday afternoon watching Youtube videos!

We even downloaded the remote control program onto our Android phones. It connects to the TV over WiFi. Genius!

It does one other thing which I did not expect but which is absolutely brilliant: I can stream videos from my laptop in the other room directly onto the TV. This is so handy. Basically your Windows PC becomes a "media server".